Sunday, September 13, 2009

Living in the Spirit

Not that I want to seem preachy, but a couple things happened this weekend that made me feel even more faithful, or better, faith-filled.

I watched "Fireproof", a movie that I had vaguely heard of about a year ago, but had never seen. I watched the DVD last night and was moved. I think all couples need to see it together and see what conversations it starts and what changes it makes in even the most solid relationships. Don't think you will be seeing an Oscar Award winner, though... Spielberg, it is not. It will go down as one of my "must see" movie recommendations.

Second, at church this morning, the homily was delivered by Deacon Chuck Bent, a man who went to visit David in the hospital and brought tea or coffee each time. He spoke about how he knows God is real because of what he has experienced in his life. All the opportunities that have presented themselves when he needed them, with regard to jobs, moves, guidance. I have felt the same way over the past year, thinking about the people who have come into my life and offered comfort, caring, support, even just some distraction from "real life" for a few hours. I think about how, so many years ago, when I was saying, "Do we HAVE to go to Kentucky, AGAIN?!?!?", my parents bought land here to live on in their retirement. David was being recruited for a job with Tricon in Dallas, only to end up applying for a job in Louisville, so we could be closer to my parents. David deciding after being married to me for 10 years, to go through the RCIA program and become Catholic. Little did we know that, after making it through 2 colon re-sectionings, an ostomy and a great many doctor visits, we were about to face another medical challenge and the toughest fight we could imagine. As we have heard many times, "the Lord works in mysterious ways." I believe the Spirit, God, the Lord, whatever you choose to call it, had a plan for us to be here in Louisville when we faced the diagnosis of lymphoma. We were led to be here, to be surrounded by our community in our jobs, our neighborhood, our church and being close to my parents as Davey, Max and I went into survival mode. We have come through it well, I think, at least so far. We wouldn't be doing as well as we are if it hadn't been for friends, faith and my family! God knew what we needed and, even though I questioned things along the way ("Why did we move away from everything and everyone we know to go to Kentucky for a job?"), moving here was the best thing for us. We, now I, am raising the boys in an environment that is reflective of the priorities David and I had for our children: to be kind, intelligent, caring, respectful, faith-filled young men who are mindful of others' needs, act charitably, think about the impact and influence their words and actions have on others and know how to be unselfish. This community offers the support we need as parents to do all this and more. I am surrounding myself and my boys with other families with the same priorities and I know God had control in making that happen.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but, if I have, perhaps a little reminder of how the gifts in your life came to be there was just what you needed!

This week, we will be going on an adventure to Florida to celebrate the life of my grandmother, Maxene, with my extended family. Please send some prayer our way. Family gatherings of this size, even without the aspect of losing a loved one, can be interesting, to say the least.

May you let the Spirit work in your life this week... see where it takes YOU!!

3 comments:

Tena said...

We have that movie in our collection but have yet to watch it. I guess we should since you've recommended it like at least 10 others have...

Hating that you're so far away from me but am glad that you've been supported by newer friends and family in KY. I agree that you were lead to be there.

Prayers for safe travels and a pleasant end for Maxene. Love you!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see you guys this weekend.

Steph said...

Safe travels to you and all of your family. Your grandmother would have appreciated the wonderful send off.