Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lymphoma - Take 2

Since March when the PET scan and CT scans indicated there was no Cancer, we believed we were over the hurdle and were looking forward to the next months of continued health for David.

In May, we celebrated David's Cancer-Free Status with 98 people at the Louisville Bats game. The afternoon was perfect and the Bats even won! Go Bats!

David had a cough that was being treated with antibiotics when we went on our annual trip to the beach in Florida with my parents, my brother/his wife/their son and our two boys two weeks ago. Upon our return, David went in for another PET scan and CT scan. The next day, he met with his oncologist (the amazing Dr. John Huber) to review the results.

That afternoon, David called me to let me know that his Cancer had returned. I was having a regular day with Davey and Max and he called my cell to let me know this latest bit of news. What devastation.

I quickly called my parents and requested them to come and went home to David. We dropped off the boys at our friends' house and drove David to Baptist East.

The next day, the biopsy was done and they inserted chest tubes. Since then, the doctors have gotten pathology reports and determined the course of action needed.

We expect 2-3 rounds of chemo, each taking up to 4 days - David will need to be inpatient for these. (Not necessarily impatient, however, no guarantees, of course!) Following those, more scans, more pathology reports and a bone marrow transplant utilizing his own marrow.
This will most likely be done at Vanderbilt - depending on where our insurance company authorizes these treatments.

Right now, David is doing fine with this new treatment. His breathing is difficult when he tries to talk. The good news is that the respiratory therapist has stopped treatments because the problem isn't with his lungs but with his trachea. The tumor is putting pressure on part of his trachea which makes it difficult for him to breathe. Now before you think that he isn't getting enough oxygen to his brain, let me assure you that his sense of humor and, therefore, his pulse oxygen levels are still at their highest levels!

We are so blessed to have many people praying for us and helping us through this. My parents were able to stay until the weekend to help with the boys and with my sanity. Also, the Mom's group from church will be bringing meals each Tuesday and Thursday through the first week of September. Husbands of the Mom's group will be mowing our yard every Saturday. David's co-workers/work friends have been so generous to also provide meals for the freezer and grocery store gift cards. Jennifer Straub did some covert duties at the house this weekend and then made a trip to the airport. Our friend, Tena and her adorable one year old son, Eli, have been in town this week (from Texas) and has been keeping the boys in the afternoons so I can spend time at the hospital with David. Numerous people have called, sent cards and emails offering to help in other ways. I'm sure I've forgotten someone or something so please forgive me!

We feel confident that this is just another bump in the road and that God will see us through. I will update as time allows - or whenever Tena can take dictation by phone!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,
Thanks for calling and telling me about your new blog! It's great. I think that it'll be therepeutic for you too...
Let us know if you need anything.
Lots of Love & Prayers,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Jen,
So glad you've entered the computer age! Let me know if you need help updating or anything else.
Prayers to y'all!
Tena

Anonymous said...

When you go home and if you should have to go back to the ER, do you know how to get served right away??? show them your "Border Patrol" badge!!!!!!!!!!!!Love, Gram

Ronda said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for sharing this blog! Now I won't be bugging you with all my phone calls and messages! Please let me know if you need anything. I am keeping you in my prayers.
Ronda

angierueff said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for updating us. I am sorry to hear of Dave's latest roadblock. I don't know anything about U of L's transplant program; however, we have a friend who had a bone marrow transplant ( from his twin ) in 2000. He is healthy and doing great. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. Please let me know if I can do anything for you.

Angie

angierueff said...

Oops - Jennifer, I meant to say that our friend had his successful transplant at Vanderbilt.( Sorry I omitted the most important part of the post)

Angie