Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Touching Mommy-Son Moment

Tonight, after Max was in bed, Davey came downstairs and told me his "eyes were watery". I asked him why and he said he had been reading When Someone You Love Has Cancer, the book I read to him the night the doctors told us there was nothing else they could do. A little later, he and I were talking about his favorite subject next to MarioKart, "Wicked" (the stage production we went to see in late Jan. during the ice storm). He asked me why Elphaba (the Wicked Witch) went into the trap door. I explained it was so she could be with Fyero. He asked why and I told him sometimes people do thing just so they can be with the person or people they love. He asked me, "Did you ever do anything so you could be with Daddy?" I told him that I got a job in Texas and didn't move to another city (like Seattle, one of my thoughts as a senior at TCU was to be adventurous after graduation and move somewhere entirely new, but I wasn't that brave, David was only part of the reason, the main reason being fear of being away from everything and everyone I knew) so I could be near Daddy. He asked, "So you really loved Daddy, huh?" "Of course!", was my response. "What did Daddy do that made you love him?", Davey asked "Did he take you out to dinner?" (how quickly they learn that food is the way to someone's heart!) I explained David took me out to dinner, to movies, gave me flowers, and made balloon flowers. The balloon flowers got Davey's attention. He told me that Daddy is probably making balloon flowers in heaven.

Can anyone tell me... should heaven be capitalized, like other proper nouns that are places, or not capitalized. I need to have an answer for the genius kindergartener in the next couple days... he really wants to know!

So, we had a nice, touching, and deep for a six year old, conversation about love and companionship and sacrifices made for the ones you love. I may have to tie things in future into the Elphaba- Fyero relationship. Many parallels to real life can be made!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have some very amazing children. Think of the legacy that David left in those boys and the wonderful job you are doing with them to turn them into the people they are and will be. I loved reading this because it just proves to me more and more what a strong and wonderful person you are. Have a wonderful, blessed Easter.
Brenda

Robin said...

Jen - I'm glad that you're boys are so special. You absolutely amaze me and something else. I don't believe it was God's intention for you to spend the rest of your Life's Journey alone if you know what I mean. I continue praying for you and the boys all the time. I miss seeing you across the hall in the mornings. Oh yeah I signed up to walk again in October. Take care and know even though I don't see you as much, I'm still there for you.

Anonymous said...

You...are an amazing mommy!