Thursday, June 18, 2009

Goliath- Take 2

Yesterday, I collected the boys (Davey has been doing a YMCA day camp this week which he LOVES!!) and we headed out on a trip to an undisclosed location. As we crossed the Ohio River into Indiana, they said, "Hey, Mommy, were are we going?"

"To Indiana."

"Why?"

"Because I need to go to a store up here."

So as we pulled into the parking lot, they acted very confused. We walked into PetSmart and the foster mom met us there. The boys had a blast playing with Bagel the beagle, who we have rechristened Goliath. We brought him back over the river to his new home. Traffic was yucky, since it was rush hour, but Goliath climbed from the back with the boys to settle into the seat next to me in the front, looking out the window and laying down to relax.

This morning, after a night in his crate, he was ready to play and see the boys. When we left to drop the boys off, I put him out in the back yard, after ensuring that the gates were securely closed. When I returned, Goliath was nowhere to be found. I got back in the car with his favorite squeaky toy, a rubber wine bottle, and was leaning out the window squeaking away. Before I even reached the next door neighbor's driveway, Goliath came bounding over to me. We came in the house and all is now well. He is snoring away in his crate (door open, he just really likes his bed!).

The other excitement around here is our A/C unit. Before our vacation, I noticed there was a message on the screen of the thermostat saying it needed a system check-up. I called and arranged for them to come when it was convenient for me (after vacation and the professional development I was attending on Mon. and Tues. this week. Little did I know how bad it was. There is a leak associated with the coil. The part is under warranty, but the labor and 11 pounds of freon are not. So, after $192 yesterday there will be an additional $725 to be paid for the completion of the job on Monday. Between vacation expenses and nearly $1000 for the A/C, we will be trying to find cheap entertainment for awhile!!! It was 80 degrees in our house last night, even with the windows open. The boys were OK and I slept without covers, but tonight, I think we will be in the basement on the futon!

Thanks for all the positive, supportive comments from so many people. I don't think I am all that "amazing" or "inspirational", but it is nice to know that people enjoy and find comfort in my ramblings.

My best to all of my "readers"!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Jennifer--Loved seeing you today! I laughed out loud about Goliath. We had a beagle named Sammy Roberts--that's what the four-year-old at the time named him. That dog gave me gray hair running off! There is nothing cuter than watching kids with their dogs. You've got great insights Jennifer--thanks for sharing with all of us!

Tena said...

I'm glad you're having a great time getting to know Goliath II. I need to see a picture of him! Maybe you'll get a good one this weekend?
I'm sorry you're having continued AC trouble. Stay cool! haha