Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer Fun!

This week has been full of lots of things. In the past week, we:

1. Took Goliath to spend Fathers' Day with my parents (sweat a lot at a reception for the retiring Bishop of the Diocese of Owensboro, KY and at a BG HotRods - minor league baseball- game and while walking down to my dad's garden to harvest peas and blackberries).

2. Returned home to our hot house (no A/C since last Wed.) and slept in the basement to try to keep cool. It was cooler, but very humid! The A/C system was new in Sept., 2006 and replaced the original system for our 41 year old house. After much time, "discussion" with the A/C company here that installed it and $1600, we have a working system again. I feel like I was over a barrel, since we chose a Lennox system after much research on David's part and now I am stuck because this company is the only Lennox dealer in town and the part needed (NOT the labor or the 11 pounds of freon I needed TWICE, just the part) was covered by warranty, so they were the people who needed to do the work. I had the support of a couple of my "guardian angels", Ann and John Hancock, who came and helped me talk to the company and try to understand why it was supposedly fixed on Monday, but Tuesday morning, it was still 82 degrees in the house. Also, I learned that the new systems (including any system installed from now on) will use the 410-A freon, which is $30 per pound now, but will decrease in price as it becomes the standard in 2010.

3. To avoid our hot house, after our dentist appointments Monday morning, we went to meet a friend for lunch at Sonic and then over to see "Up". We all enjoyed it, I think.

4. Vacation Bible School was each evening this week from 6 to 8:30. That made for grumpy boys when I tried to wake them up at 7:30 to start a new day, or, as was the case on Tuesday, to jump into the car to chase an escaped beagle into a neighboring subdivision, only to give up and 30 minutes later hear Davey yell, "Mommy, he's back!" Goliath's escape route has been sealed, but we are not taking any chances and when he is outside alone, he is on 48' of chain.

5. VBS has been fun, inspiring and tiring. Davey is a Big Kid now, so he is in a different group than Max and I. This was Max's first year to be old enough to participate. Much better than last year, since I didn't have to spend the week in the oncology unit with a re-diagnosis of lymphoma. The boys got into the Bible stories and the music. Lots of awesome and supportive friends there, too.

6. Davey began golf clinic on Wednesday. If he decides this is something he likes, he wants a set of clubs for his birthday and he can join the golf team at school in a couple years.

7. I met a gal this week who had heard I was a widow and told me she was, too. Her husband committed suicide 4 years ago, when their son was 15 months old. She could really speak from experience about what I live daily. She and I compared stories and she shared her joy with getting remarried 3 weeks ago and her (new) husband has adopted her son. She told me to call her anytime I need an ear. God puts people in our lives to help us; in my case, MANY, MANY people!

We have had a busy week this week and I am thinking next week will seem boring by comparison! That's OK, really. Some time at the YMCA water park, a haircut and lunch with a friend and Independence Day... where did June go!?!!?!?

Please continue to pray for my dear friend, Tena and her family as they battle her dad's very aggressive thyroid cancer. They need strength and prayers.

1 comment:

Lyn and John said...

I doubt that next week will be boring at all! Things have a way of springing up to keep you busy.
Love, Mom and Dad