Saturday, July 25, 2009

So This Is Summer

Well, we have had some blissfully mild days this past week or so. I had the A/C of for about 5 days straight, my electric bill will love me for it. Is has been nice to sleep with the windows open and hear the night noises.

I worked, doing First Steps (Kentucky's early intervention program for kids aged birth to 3 years with disabilities) meetings Monday and Friday and meeting on Tuesday and Thursday to place kids in the JCPS preschool program. I enjoyed seeing some of my work buddies and catching up on each others busy summers. I filled them in on the drama and excitement that seems to be my life lately. (Among other things, my grandmother's death so soon after diagnosis.) My mom and dad were with her for the week before she died (they left Wednesday and she died Thursday morning about 3:15). She was ready to go, it seems, and she had more than completed her "bucket list". She had an amazing life and I have very fond memories of times spent with her.

We have just about 3 weeks left before I go back to work. About this time every summer, I look back on things we did and I am so glad that this summer, which could have been very difficult and awful, has been a good summer. I know it isn't over and we haven't reached the day that could be the hardest of all, but I have been so surrounded by such love and support and kept busy enough, that we are all doing pretty well. We have been on a couple trips, been to the pool a lot, had many opportunities to socialize with and get to know even better some friends from school, church and our awesome neighborhood.


Davey spent the week with my mom and dad, since I was working so much. He will do the same between when I go back to work and when school starts for him. He had a lot of fun seeing 2 plays ("Schoolhouse Rock" and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"), made a boat out of recyclables, made many neat things (pins, magnets, etc.) from Super Sculpy clay and helped harvest veggies (and eat them) from DadDad's garden. It was nice to get time with only Max, since usually I get one on one time with Davey either when Max is at school or after Max goes to sleep. We played a lot of cars, trains and CandyLand and read some good bedtime stories. Davey called and read bedtime stories to me over the phone each night. It was so sweet! He missed us, especially his little brother, but within the first hour after he arrived home, the main interest was the Wii.

Next week, we will spend more time with friends, I will work one day and we may get to the YMCA water park. Since last time we went (last summer), Davey has practiced swimming (he still keeps his face out of the water, but he can actually move forward!) and we have been to Great Wolf Lodge twice, so I think we will have more fun that we had last summer.

I am still so grateful for all the friends who have had the opportunity to help me negotiate all the stuff that goes with widowhood, single parenthood and grief. To all of you, I owe you BIG TIME!!! I value your advice and unwavering support!

----------------------------------
"It is not so much our friends' help that helps us as the confident knowledge that they will help us."
- Epicurus -Greek philosopher

"Friendship is the only cement that will ever hold the world together"
- Woodrow Wilson

"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy you must have somebody to divide it with."
- Mark Twain

"Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light."
- Helen Keller

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your grandmother. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I am glad you have wonderful network of family and friends to help you through tough times. I hope the rest of your summer is restful and fun.
Take care,
Brenda

Tena said...

I just want to let you know (again) that I think I'm lucky to be in your 'inner circle.'

Love you!

Mom said...

You really need a new picture on this blog!