Monday, December 15, 2008

Firsts of Sorts

This past weekend had several firsts, some more major than others.

First sleepover: We all went to Josie's birthday party, at a hotel, so everyone got to swim, play cornhole (Max's favorite), play Foosball (a new passion of Davey's since attending the Y program after school with some older boys who have taught him the finer points of the game), have scavenger hunts, and dum dum daaaa... Davey spent the night away from me!! They were up until midnight, but he kept proclaiming he got "plenty of sleep".

First major "owie" for Max: Saturday morning, Max was helping make the sourdough pancakes and dropped a glass bottle of Mexican vanilla on his big toe, right after I said, "Max, don't drop this." Of course, I had been picturing trying to clean up shattered glass and vanilla, not comforting my 3 year old with a purple toenail.

First time Max told someone he needed to go potty: He will now let us know when he needs to go. Now I can't wait for "First poop in the potty"

First new sheets for the "solo" bed: I know, not a big deal, but it IS weird knowing David never slept on these sheets. They are very soft, but still in a color he would approve of... not pink and not floral.

Davey's first Santa's Workshop: He shopped for Max and for me. Again, I always thought he'd shop for 3 people, not 2.

My mom is doing well with the radiation, by all reports. Thanks to all of you who ask how she is doing. She chuckled when she told me she had gotten her tattoos. She's one of the last people who you'd ever expect to have a tattoo!

I am making plans for the kindergarten Christmas party. They will be making houses using milk cartons and graham crackers because kids really love doing that and I couldn't come up with a better idea for the amount of time we have. I did see a couple cute ideas in Family Fun magazine that I am toying with.

I still keep feeling like David will be coming home from the hospital any day now. I am not sure if I am still getting used to things or what. It has been cold and the coldest seems to be coming tonight. I imagine David being cold and lonely at the cemetery while we are warm in the house. I know that is stupid, that he doesn't feel cold OR lonely, but I can't seem to get the image out of my head sometimes, especially when my mind isn't otherwise occupied. I am just waiting for a Christmas card from someone who didn't know what happened until they received our card. I know it is bound to happen.

I guess that is about it for the moment. Only 4 more days!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you guys had a big, busy weekend. Congrats to Davey on the sleepover and to Max on the pottying! And to you...for raising two amazing boys!