Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Mothers...

It is amazing how being a mom (or a dad) can change your opinions and perspectives, huh? I was talking to the mom of one of my students about being in a restaurant where there is a kid screaming/fussing/yelling/etc. before having kids of your own versus the same experience when you are just grateful that (this time) it isn't your kid causing people to turn and stare. I think about the things I either said I wouldn't do or never occurred to me that I might need to do. Teaching (training?!?!) your child to pee in the toilet and all that is involved with that is something you don't think of much when you are planning to have a baby. You think of the sleepless nights, the spit up, the wiping their little heinies, but not so much about the strategies and anxiety that goes with potty training. I was determined this morning that Max WOULD pee in the miniature toilet in his classroom before I went on to work. So, we (the Royal We) sat for a few minutes, until he said, "I will pee-pee in 5 minutes." Then he went to play for a few minutes, then sat again. We repeated this process 3 times and he did go before I left, as I had proclaimed so boldly. I was nervous about what I would hear when I arrived to pick him up and how much laundry there would be. He had "a couple accidentals" as his teacher put it. But he was still in the clothes her was wearing when I left. She suggested that we go cold turkey and just do real underwear (thank goodness Sherri gave us 6 pairs of Elmo sports and Nemo underwear! Thanks, SIL!!!) So, tomorrow, he will be without a safety net! Yipes!!

The other "Mother" related thing is that my mom will begin radiation next Monday. The radiation oncologist predicts 5 days a week for 6 weeks. She is a great role model to me of taking this in stride and doing what needs to be done. In spite of all the chaos that has been going on in her life, Thanksgiving was great and perfect (well, except for one major and obvious absence).

There is a neighbor who has offered to come this week and put up the lights on our house. I am not really much help, since David always did it (last year, he gave instructions about where things went and the minute details to get it as he wanted). It may be different this year, but that might just be ok, maybe even a good thing.

Max is homing in on the big third birthday. He likes to tell anyone who will listen that he is having 3 friends at his party, and who the "chosen ones" are. Davey has his last chess club meeting tomorrow, so he will be hitting up any available individual to play against. Davey lives for "Mommy-Davey time" after Max is settled in for the night. Sometimes we play a game (chess, checkers, Battleship, etc.) or read or do homework or watch a show (last night, it was "Shrek the Halls" and "The Grinch"). I think is is very important for each of them to get a little time with me by themselves. Tough to do, but every kid, even with 2 parents, needs some time where it is just them and their parents- special time where they are the only focus. I see too many kids who will do anything to get their parents' attention and feel like they have someone to listen to them. Parents should be that person for their kids, otherwise the kid will find someone else who will listen and THAT is where trouble can begin.

OK, enough with the parenting lecture. I will retire my soapbox for the night and go to bed. I wish everyone a peaceful and happy Advent.

The child supplies the power but the parents have to do the steering. ~Benjamin Spock, Dr. Spock's Baby and Child Care

In bringing up children, spend on them half as much money and twice as much time. ~Author Unknown

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children, and no theories. ~John Wilmot

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that the pottying went well today!! Cold turkey was the way to go for JT (as it was with his bottle, paci, etc).
Hope your having a good week.