Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dinner with the Teacher

Last night, we had the pleasure of having Mrs. Flechler, Davey's kindergarten teacher, over for dinner. We asked her if she would come over while we were at the Spring conference last week. I have fond memories of having my teachers over for dinner (it seems like it was often something Mexican, followed by my mom's yummy sopapillas with honey) as a kiddo, so I wanted to start that tradition with my boys. Now, there are very few of my students over the years from whom I would accept an invitation to their home, but it is a very different type of clientele, not to seem to be too big a snob. So, I asked at the conference and she replied that it would be such a treat and that she had never received such an invitation before. She has been teaching at least 20 years, I would guess, so I was surprised about that. I asked Davey what he would like to have and, after some hemming and hawing, it was decided that we would make homemade pizza. I called to give directions and we were set. She arrived about 5:30 and we had not picked up and tidied like I would have preferred, but she was adamant, "I certainly hope you did not rush home to clean for me! I want to just relax and enjoy." She lost her husband when her children were in middle and early high school, so she empathizes with my struggles with trying to fit it all in in one day. We "decorated" the pizzas, one white and one red, with sausage, mushrooms, olives and artichoke hearts on the red one and chicken, mushrooms, olives and artichoke hearts on the alfredo one. We had a salad and king cake (for dessert). The boys asked for those items, specifically, so everyone was happy. Mrs. Flechler even became acquainted with the Wii and several games we have (especially MarioKart and Big Brain Academy). Max liked getting to know Mrs. Flechler, or "Fleckeley" as he called her. I think the feeling was mutual! Around 8:30 she said she needed to go because her bedtime was quickly approaching. Davey thought it was funny that his teacher and he share the same bedtime. It was such an enjoyable evening!!!

This morning, as I was dropping Davey off at school, I was more short with him than I liked, telling him to hurry, that there were lots of cars waiting behind us. He didn't want to take the cowboy boots (on loan to the music teacher for the production of "Oklahoma" in April) to the school office ("I don't want to go to the office."), so I ended up parking and taking the boots in and went down to his room to apologize. Mrs. Flechler gave me a big, huge hug, told me thanks again and told me she loved us. We are blessed to have her! I was greeted with 20 "Hi, Mrs. Albright!" and one "Hey, Mommy!" Davey had already forgiven me for my shortness and rudeness, so it was worth it!

I continue to attend physical therapy 3 days a week. There has been some improvement. I can now raise up on my toes on the left foot, where I could not 2 weeks ago, and have loss pain and more flexibility. I hope to be near 100% by spring break, if not sooner!

I have now begun the process of getting the taxes done. I wanted to try to do it myself, but my knowledge and patience are not condicive to it this year.

Tomorrow, we are expecting the arrival of the pieces and components for our new swingset (courtesy of the generosity of David's parents). It was a discontinued model on the Creative Playthings website! Yippee!! The next step is recruiting dads and other men we know who like to/ are willing to be destroying and demolishing the old, crushed set and constructing the new one. If anyone (locally only, please :o), it makes it easier) wants to volunteer themselves, their spouse or other random person, to assist with this adventure, let me know.

Here's to nearly being on the back end of the work week!!

No comments: