Sunday, March 15, 2009

EMHE- The Backyard Edition- Part II

I have the boys in bed, soundly sleeping, and I just peeked out the window at the swingset. It was quite a sight to behold on Saturday! There were 7 guys here from shortly after 9 a.m. until about 5:00 p.m. It was like Extreme Makeover Home Edition, like back in the summer.

They worked in the cold, the drizzle and the mud to construct the swingset (photos not jet available). There was some discussion and good-natured ribbing amongst them regarding who was working in the garage constructing portions of the structure (ladders, supports, etc.) and who was out in the rain. We dried the instructions in the oven at least 3 times, not once forgetting they were in there and allowing them to catch on fire. I spoke with 2 of the wives in the mid-morning to early-afternoon and relayed messages (instructions?) to their hubbies. I told them that I did not have a husband to nag, so I was borrowing them, so I could stay in practice. There was a great deal of basketball on on Saturday, so they took an hour to get warm, grab a bite and see some hoops. They did remind me that the "important game" (Big East championship) wasn't on until 9:30. It all came together smoothly and these guys enjoy each other, so it was even fun, perhaps. One guy (Kevin, a neighbor) realized he knew a couple of the other guys (as seems to be the way in Louisville, everyone seems to know someone you know, too- it even happens to me now, and I didn't grow up here and I am not related to more than 2 people here). As an added bonus, the quarter-round trip I stained shortly after Davey was born was installed in the master bedroom. I had never seen so many dust bunnies as there were when they pulled the dressers away from the wall to nail it down! Don't worry, if you haven't moved furniture away from the wall in 8 1/2 years, you have them, too!

I was tired after they left, and I really didn't do anything but entertain, monitor and feed 3 children. I did do a little bit, like sweep out the garage, cut up the cardboard boxes to be recycled and moved the remaining parts of the old swingset to the trash. If I was tired, I imagine the guys were ready to drop!

However, somehow most of us managed to be ready to attend a party/ fundraiser for a local neighborhood swim team. I was (again) the guest of friends who make sure I have an adult social life. It was a horse racing (using rolling stools to be the horses) themed soiree. I had a great time and the boys were sleeping when I arrived home. Most of the guys who were on the construction crew were there with their wives, whom I thanked for loaning them to me for the day. Interestingly, the ladies seemed completely OK with having their hubbies out for the day. My theory: they would have been in front of the t.v. watching basketball, anyway, so this way, they knew the guys were doing something worthwhile. There were lots of people a the party that I knew, some from work, others from church- many were folks that I did not know until they brought a meal (or more) during the past 19 months, whom I now count as friends I can call on if I need something.

I felt like the deacon at church today was speaking of my experience. He was talking about our responsibility to look out for one another; that we are called to minister to the people in our midst who are in need, not only material or financial need, but in need of help, comfort or consolation. The community David and I were lucky enough to find here is so amazing, so inspiring and so incredible. People will have Davey over after school, will advise me in matters that are their specialty (and not mine) and will even anticipate needs I hadn't thought of (for example, offering to help me change the sheets so I don't further injure my back). I know they were sent to us to make it so we could keep going through all we have faced (and continue to face). It is easy to emphatically say, "Are you kidding!?!?" when I am asked if the boys and I are moving away. Why would we leave this? Our roots are right here. I am grateful to be surrounded my so many people who care about us and for us. I have never seen anything like it! If you aren't a spiritual person, I am not sure how you explain all this, but I believe our friends were placed in our lives to help us, even carry us, when we can't do it alone.

"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe unto him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
-Ecclesiastes 4:9-10


When it hurts to look back, and you're scared to look ahead, you can look beside you and your friends will be there


A friend is someone who knows your song and sings it to you when you have forgotten it. Those who love you are not fooled by mistakes you have made or dark images you hold about yourself. They remember your beauty when you feel ugly; your wholeness when you are broken; your innocence when you feel guilty; and your purpose when you are confused.

2 comments:

Lyn and John said...

You and your friends are truly amazing. I think you should consider writing a blurb for your church bulletin thanking those guys and their families, and letting the rest of the parish know that the Good News is alive and well among them!
Daddy wishes he could have been there to help, too. We love you all. ~Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I really believe that you get what you give. You are a great friend, and so you have great friends.
Can't wait to see you in 2 weeks!!

Love,
Sherri