Sunday, March 1, 2009

Positive Influences

Over the weekend, which was a good one, overall, I have had time (and a catalyst to prompt me) to ponder the influences the people in our lives can have on us. I talked to, either by phone, electronically or in person, to several people in the past few days. Some of these people have known me my whole life, others for 15 years or more, others for only since David got sick. So many of them, in fact, nearly all of them comment on some aspect of how I seem to be doing, whether it is how I am balancing work, single parenthood and my own mental health; how great the boys are (smart, polite, kind, etc.- always good to hear about your offspring!) or just to complement me on my strength (that seems to be a pretty common one. I have learned an important lesson this weekend that has been a few years in coming, but I will get to that later.

I went to a party for the parents of first graders, hosted by the parents who live in one neighborhood nearby. On Friday, I was invited to attend, even though I don't have a first grader, it would be a nice adult night out. So, I called our favorite sitter and inquired if she was available. So, we raced from a birthday party that ended at 6, back home so I could get ready for the party. My friend, Bobbi, came by so I could ensure I was appropriately attired with the correct accessories. (Her comment was, "Girrrrl! You look HOT!" It has been awhile since I have heard those words!). I had a fun time, mostly talking to some of the other moms. Two even offered to come over today and help me change the sheets, since I am struggling with this herniated disk and routine household tasks are on the "only do if you have to" list.

I talked to (or communicated electronically with) several friends from college and the days before moving to Kentucky today. It is good to be able to keep up with friends from different parts of your life!

So, after a weekend that has afforded me lots of contact with a varied group of people, I have decided it is important to surround yourself with people who are positive influences and who add something positive to your life, not people who detract from it, or who do not bring something good to your life. Life is too short to waste too much emotional energy on negative people and negativity. I think I am doing a pretty good job as a mom, a friend, a sister, a daughter, a teacher, in all my roles in life, especially under the present circumstances. I have actually begun believing it after having a lot of people try to convince me of it for the past 6 1/2 months. I know there is always room for improvement, but confidence in yourself is a great first step.

I hope all the folks who read this feel confident in their abilities in their various roles in life, and if you don't, do some soul searching and see where you might be able to better.

Have a fantastic week and be strong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can atest that you do more than a "good" job as sister & aunt! On that note, thanks (as always), for the zoo membership!
Can't wait to see you...SOON!

Love,
Sherri

Lyn and John said...

Ya-a-a-y! You are finally getting the message that you're doing great on all fronts! It is so true that you should surround yourself only with those people who affirm you. Life is just too short to spend it trying to be something you're not, or trying to change someone else. We love you all just the way you are, which in our eyes is PERFECT!Love, Mom and Dad