Thursday, November 20, 2008

College Plans

You all may find it strange or unusual that a 6 year old is talking a great deal about college, but ever since this past weekend when we watched the UK (that would be Kentucky, not Kansas)vs. Vanderbilt football game (a huge rivalry, is seems), Davey has been contemplating his collegiate future. He has decided that he would very much like to attend Vandy. Yesterday, he asked me how old people are when they go to college. This afternoon, he said he only wanted to go if I could go with him. I told him that he would live in a big building kind of like a hotel of only college students. He thought that sounded good, especially when I told him he would have a roommate. He put it together that there could be bunk beds. He has been really pro-bunk beds lately, so a roommate and bunks sounded really good to him. He said to me, "Do you think I could sleep on the top one night and on the bottom the next night?" I told him he would have to talk to his roommate. His response was, "Will it be a boy roommate or a girl?" I told him a boy and he said, "Good! I think that would be better." He has decided that St. X (Saint Xavier High School, for those not familiar with the Louisville Catholics HS- It has a very good reputation for academics, character development and athletics) and Vandy are his choices, at least for now. Our friend, John Huber, went to both, so he is looking to follow in some awesome footsteps.

Another funny thing that happened over the weekend, that I forgot to mention... Max is utterly convinced that Santa lives in a gingerbread house.

I managed to get in the holiday spirit this afternoon. I went to Target to do a bit of birthday (Max will be 3 in 15 days, so I needed to get going!) and Christmas shopping. I supported the economy a bit, so a recession cannot be blamed on me! I was excited that I had gotten into it. I have some more to do for Davey, but there will be no lack of inspiration there, since he has been circling things in catalogs for the past few weeks.

There is a kick off the holidays "thing" near here tomorrow evening with Santa, fireworks and hot chocolate, so we may go to that. Davey has a birthday party to attend and we have a neighborhood get together that was tentatively planned for Saturday. Then, next week, we get to see my brother, sister in law and nephew!! Yippee!!!

No comments: