Monday, November 17, 2008

Whew!

Well, one day down and 8 more until Thanksgiving Break! We had a good weekend. My mom is doing well after a lumpectomy last Thursday. Things look positive, but we wait (prayerfully) for the doctor's follow up visit on Friday. The boys, DadDad and I went bowling on Saturday so Googey could rest in a quiet house. The boys got to have Culver's for lunch, which is a treat since we don't want to drive to the one here (it is a bit far from home).

Today, I felt like I really earned my paycheck! I got headbutted by a student, so I had to keep him from hurting me, himself or his classmates. At least that was as far as it went today. I had a lunch that turned into a therapy session with Amy and Bobbi. It is good to have friends to talk to, hug, cry with, etc.

This evening, we had Ryan and Logan over for Italian Beef, spinach egg noodles and green beans (apparently, these are Logan's favorite veggie. Who knew?). Josie was over playing, so she tried some meat (and, amazingly, she liked it... she doesn't like anything new), then Bobbi and Kevin came over to get her and stayed to eat. The kiddos all decided to put on a puppet show (which will have to be continued on Sat. Apparently, we are now all getting together Sat. evening.) It turned out to be a good day... I still wish David were with us to enjoy it all.

Davey has been a bit sad the past 2 evenings. He has gotten teary and told me he misses Daddy. He tells me he wants to sleep with me because he loves me and it's lonely. What should my stance be on making him stay in his own room? His habit has become that he will come in in the middle of the night (presumably when he gets up to go to the bathroom) and crawl in with me. I am not sure whether to put a stop to it immediately or cut him some slack.

On another bed question, David and I had discussed getting bunk beds for Max's room when he outgrew the "toddler bed" (either physically or developmentally). Davey thinks HE needs the bunk beds in his room. There is no space for a full bed in Max's room, but there is in Davey's. The idea was that when people came to visit, guests could be in Davey's full bed and the boys could sleep in Max's room. I attempted to explain this to Davey and the space logistics. I think he understands. So now the question is the WHAT and the WHEN. Do I get bunks or a trundle? DO I do this for Max's birthday (in about 3 weeks) or wait?

It is good to think about seeing my brother, sister-in-law and nephew for Thanksgiving, but I am having a hard time getting excited about Christmas. I don't feel like doing a tree, shopping, putting up lights, any of it, but I know the boys need it and deserve it. I hate the idea of decorating the tree without David. Even as messed up as things were last year, we managed to do the tree. I am not inspired for gifts for the boys, but I know that is not what it is about. I want to still see the joy and magic that they will(hopefully)see in the Christmas season.

Davey will be getting his first report card soon. I am excited for him. He has done well. All 100s except a 99 in Spanish and a 95 in Art. Good for him! I am still getting adjusted to making lunches and supervising homework. I do wish I could get him to do homework as soon as we get home, but the pattern has developed that he does it between when Max goes to bed and when he goes to bed.

I think that is enough rambling for tonight. Please comment or reply regarding the bunk bed vs. trundle and any advice for getting into the Spirit of the Season. I will take as much advice as is provided. Thanks, as always, for your love and support!!

6 comments:

Lyn and John said...

It was a fun weekend, even though I wasn't fully participatory! Your boys are amazing. So smart and good looking! Guess they take after their DadDad... I love Max's absolute conviction about Santa's Gingerbread House, and that #7 is a chocolate football player.
We're sure looking forward to Thanksgiving, too. So very much to be grateful for, family being at the top of the long list. Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Jen - What a day you had. Thankfully, no one was hurt...thanks to you. Kendyll has bunk beds in her room although she has never slept on top (almost once). Two adventurous boys would probably have a ball with them! I'm always praying for you all and I think even though the spirit of the season seems lost, David would want you to do things just as before. Tradition goes along way and maybe Davey and Max could each pick out or make a special ornament Daddy would have loved and add a different one each year as they get older. Just a thought. Love and prayers always.

Tena said...

I'm glad you were able to see your parents this weekend. What a blessing you are to them - especially your mom right now.

I vote for bunk beds in Max's room when you (and he) are ready just like you and David had planned.

I also think you should consider keeping the traditions of the season and trying to make it a good holiday. Continuing to honor David now would make the holiday that much more special.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

My sister and I had bunk beds for a while and we loved them! We had so much fun with them. I think that sticking to the plan is a good idea!
As for Christmas, well, we talked about that a little on Friday. It's hard to get into the mood with all that is and has happened in our family this year. We will just have to lean on our faith and remember the reason for the celebration!

Anonymous said...

In reply to your comment....of course I'll help with the potty training!!
We can't wait to see you guys!!!

See you soon,
Sherri

Anonymous said...

Not sure if you've thought of this and ruled it out for some reason, but have you considered having the boys trade rooms and letting Davey get the bunk beds he wants? In my family it was almost a requirement that the sisters had to trade rooms every summer. We always got to repaint the room, so it was a special treat. That way, we wouldnt' fight over who got the big bed or the bigger room.