Monday, November 24, 2008

At Last!

We are on the verge of a glorious 5 days off to spend with family and give thanks. Despite the "yuckiness" I have been through since last Thanksgiving, I am somehow able to see the many blessings I have in my life, beginning with my 2 wonderful, (near)perfect, brilliant, loving and resilient boys! I have more friends that care deeply for me and the boys than I can count. My boys, family, friends and faith are what has pulled me through thus far and I hope these things will get me through the next few days, weeks, months and years.

All that said, allow me to reflect on the weekend. We stayed busy! Friday evening, we ordered pizza (thanks to a gift card given to us) and hung out with our neighbors (Bobbi, Kevin, Josie, Ryan and Logan). The kids got to play with/ observe Kevin's dad's Lionel train from 50+ years ago. We were home late and everyone in our house slept in until 8:30! We enjoyed our typical Sat. morning sourdough chocolate chip pancakes, watched a little t.v. and played in the basement. I managed to go through boxes of clothes and discover an entire 3T hand-me-down wardrobe for Max and box up 3 boxes of outgrown clothes for consignment. Davey had a birthday party to attend, which Max and I crashed (it seems that single mommyhood requires one sibling to get dragged to the activities of the other). After the party, we went to Bobbi and Kevin's for another, larger, get-together for appetizers, drinks, games and fun. Again, a late night for the boys, but we were up again on time for a rushed breakfast (if you can call it that) in the car on the way to Mass. After church, we went to Costco and Wendy's and then home. I felt such a sense of accomplishment with this NEXT activity. The boys helped (using that term a bit loosely) me rake and collect the leaves in the backyard into piles. Their job was to use the little wheelbarrow to consolidate the pile into the jumping pile. They did that until they got bored and cold, then they went inside. I continued on to fill 11 yard bags with leaves and not even touch the front yard. The boys did pop out occasionally to check on my progress and only complain about each other a little. Afterward, we enjoyed hot chocolate, leftovers and bedtime stories. I am definitely ready for a break!

This is the weekend I plan to get Max out of diapers, at least during the day. His third birthday is swiftly approaching and I will have reinforcements named Googey, DadDad, Uncle Fuzzy and Aunt Sherri, not to mention my little role models on the "how", "when" and "where", Davey and J.T. Wish us luck!!

I did manage to get into the shopping part of the preparations for the holidays at Target the other day. I think you can't help but get caught up in it at Target!

I wish you all a peaceful and gratitude-filled Thanksgiving and thank you again for your kindness, love and support!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen- I wish you all a very blessed Thanksgiving. You are an amazing person and I am so very grateful that when your first born was only 2 that I had the privilege of teaching him (yeah right)I think he taught me a whole lot more than I taught him. Such a smarty and that I was blessed to have such a supportive parent who soon became my very good friend and then came Max whom I had the pleasure of teaching as well. He is equally as smart as Davey and so sweet. I hope we can always be friends. Have a wonderful 5 days to enjoy your family and friends and those oh so precious boys. Love and prayers to all.

Tena said...

You are an inspiration. What a blessing you are to me and everyone who knows you. And, those boys aren't too bad, either!

Love you! Enjoy your visit this weekend and don't forget to check the mail! hahaha