Sunday, September 14, 2008

It's Dark, So Very Dark

We had a nice weekend in Bowling Green. Friday night, we attended a balloon festival. Where Max saw 17 'hoppy' balloons - that's 'hot air' balloons for the rest of us. On Saturday, my mom and I went to see the movie "The Women." I highly recommend it to all you women folk. There was only one very brave man in the theatre.

Also on Saturday, we attended an old fashioned Kentucky hoe-down at the South Union Shaker Museum. David would have enjoyed the music just like we did. We have gone to several of those over the years and David always loved listening to the music and comparing his own banjo skills.

Upon returning home, we discovered that 75 mile per hour winds had visited our house. In it's wake, we found much debris strewn across the neighborhood - including two large limbs leaning against the back of the house. Max called the visiting tree limbs a 'jungle' and hopes to play beneath them tomorrow like he did this evening. We also have no electricity. I am sitting in my lonely room on a corded phone by candlelight...we are very comfortable, though - the windows are open and there is a nice breeze. But, it's very, very dark in here.

By now you are wondering how I might be blogging without electricity. It's the blog fairy - otherwise known as Tena - via telephone in Texas. (Ike actually hit in Texas and I have the effects but Tena does not. I'm not bitter, though.)

So, had I known the extent of this storm, I would've stayed in Bowling Green. School has been cancelled until there is electricity. There are probably 110 public schools without electricity. This is the first of our bad weather days.

While we were gone, an army of people came to care for the house - inside and out. They trimmed limbs, washed the car, mopped the floors, cleaned the bathrooms, set up the new entertainment center and decorated for Halloween. Thank you so much - you did a great job!

It's a new version of 'while you were out' - except that I knew they were coming. So we've had 'extreme makeover playground edition' and now 'while you were out.' I wonder which television show will be next?

David's parents will be coming to visit in October. It just so happens that they'll be visiting over David's birthday. We'll probably go out to the cemetary for a visit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved seeing you and the boys at the Hoedown. I going to try and grow up so I can learn to play the banjo! Sorry about the storm...glad you are safe and secure!
LUVUH
PS Communion under the stars and a full moon was fanastic too!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you guys weren't home for that nasty storm! I'll bet it was scary. It sounds like your damage was minimal though, so that's a good thing.
Thinking about David playing the banjo (or the piano in your mom's living room) makes me smile(and then tear up)...he was so talented...in so many ways.
It's awesome that the Albrights will be back for a visit so soon...I'm sure that the boys will be excited to see them.
Love you...

Melanie and Scott said...

You guys got the storm part of Ike and we got the rain. We had over 8inches this past weekend. You have such awesome friends there in Louisville. I am so thankful they are watching over my dear friend! Thanks for the birthday wishes. Wish I could tell you it was a memorable birthday for happy reasons. I was in a wreck on my way home from work that day. A big flatbed truck pulled right out in front of me as I was travelling down a local highway. Not so good for tan van but I was ok. That is the good part. It definitely was a memorable day. Take care of yourself and enjoy your few days off of school.

Jasten said...

That title just brought to mind:

"It's very dark. You're likely to be eaten by a grue."

Here's to Zork.