Friday, September 26, 2008

What A Day!

After yesterday at the gym getting weepy on the machines and having to stop my workout, and then being all sad when I picked Davey up, I hoped I wouldn't cry today. No such luck. I had meetings today with some folks I hadn't seen in several weeks and the talk was mostly about how long each of us were without power. I was proud of myself for handling everything alone (well, except for escaping to my mom and dad's house for 2 nights and having a neighbor remove the limbs from the gutter and hot tub). I also had my friend next door come last night and unclog the toilet for me (but I changed the filter on the furnace MYSELF!). Talk then turned to whether I had joined a support group or considered counseling. I mean, when would I fit that in!?!?!?!? So I shed more tears then. I was ok after a little cry and some laughs, thanks to these ladies I was with today.

Before going to get the boys, I went to the new oncology unit at Baptist East. It opened in mid-August, so we never were there. The nurses were so great to us, that I kind of missed them. So, I went to see them and several of our favorites were there. It looks like a hotel, except for the hospital beds. They reminded me the David will always be the first patient to go visit the new digs back in July. I don't really know what possessed me to go see them today, but I truly think it was part of the healing process, kind of like the first time you see an ex-boyfriend after you break up or when you pull a Band-Aid off, you have to do it and then it is a little easier the subsequent times.

My mom called me from Italy this afternoon. I was a little panicked when I saw it was her calling. They were just checking on me and making sure I was ok. They will be back next week. They are having a great time and tomorrow they head to the villa they are sharing with my aunt and several former classmates of my mom's and their spouses.

I managed to watch all of the 2 hour season premiere of "Grey's Anatomy" last night. Both boys were in bed by 9:00! This was rather momentous, me, who used to scorn the parents who had trouble getting their kids down at a "reasonable hour", now has had to work back to the 7:30 and 9:00 bedtimes we had in May. I enjoyed it, even though it is a medical show.

Today, I received the Explanation of Benefits for the period from July 11 to Sept. 10, 2008. This covered the last month David was alive and nearly all of that was in the hospital. The total I have to pay is lass than $500, but without insurance the total was over $291,000! More than a nice house goes for! INSANE?!?!?!? We were at the Chitwoods tonight, along with our friends and former Creeksiders, the Crosbys and the guy who bought their house, Ryan (he has a nearly 2 year old Max loves to play with). They all are a great support to me!

Well, until another night, I bid you farewell! Have a great weekend and email or comment so I know what your thoughts are on these ramblings of mine!

4 comments:

Tena said...

love you, see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,
Crying is very cleansing, so don't hold back the tears! I'm sending you a big HUG!

You mentioned Chitwoods...I went to Centre with Ted Chitwood ,and he married Linda Sears back in the 70's. Do you think they are kinfolk?

LUVULOTS
Harriette
PS It was so healing for me to visit the kind nurses that took care of my dad in ICU. They need to be lifted up!

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you tonight...like many nights. My heart still breaks for you, Davey and Max. I want to remind you that you are an amazing person and mother. I'm glad you feel some support from us cuz most times I still feel at a loss for what to say.....You are loved by many people, remember that. One day at a time.....and seriously....CRY CRY CRY...get it out. :-) Today is the 23rd anniversary of the day I lost my Dad to cancer.....I know you guys will be ok. It just takes time......tears and LAUGHTER!
love you,
Amy

Anonymous said...

I agree with Harriette....crying is so cleansing. I think that you were too busy to cry those first few days & weeks and it's good that you're crying now. It's all part of healing the soul. Call me...I'll cry with you!!

Love you..
Sherri