Thursday, October 9, 2008

Roller Coaster Ride

Life is full of highs and lows. I try to see the highs and appreciate them. I think the lows make you appreciate the highs even more... or they can if you let yourself. "Team Incredible Dave" raised $3,561 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. If you still want to donate to our team, go to the link on the right side of the blog. That was good news received yesterday. Today has been rough, I have just been down for no one direct reason, just general melancholy, I guess. I could blame it on the economy, negative political ads, or maybe cloudy weather.

On the up side, a great plumber and truly nice guy, Steve Greene (of Greene Plumbing Services) came to work on the toilet yesterday morning. He had done work for us earlier this year. He fixed the toilet (first trying an auger and then resorting to removing the toilet and turning it upside down). He removed the hockey puck-like toy that Max flushed and then did not charge me a nickel. I highly recommend him if anyone needs a plumber!!!

Also on the positive, after trying to persuade Max to go potty before dinner (his pull-up was hardly wet) and him ardently refusing to go, he urgently said, mid-dinner, "Mommy, I need to go potty!" Not only did he pee, but he pooped, too! Yippee! (There was a part of me that wished I could celebrate with David, though, but I bet he's doing the "happy potty dance" in Heaven.

Davey's kindergarten went to Mass today at school for the first time today. He said it was good and, when given the choice between interesting and boring, he deemed it "interesting". He has been paying attention on Sunday mornings much better now that we don't take anything to do and Max goes to the nursery.

My mom and dad are arriving tomorrow afternoon to go to the zoo for their annual Halloween party, and then for Davey's soccer game Saturday morning. It will be a good weekend and keep us just busy enough to be a bit distracted from reality. Next Friday is when David's mom and dad come in. I know I need to not have the car anymore. No need to insure, tax and store a car that no one drives, but it will be really sad and weird to not have it in the garage and see it every night when we come home. I catch myself wanting to call David when I hear the traffic report if it contains anything related to the route to YUM!s offices. I guess it will be awhile before that stops. The Albrights will be leaving on David's birthday, so I think we will be taking a friend up on the offer to dinner at their house that night. I won't want to be alone that evening! Maybe I will make a cake to take and we can tell happy "David stories". Speaking of that, please keep sending Tena your own David stories. I want to have a lot to share with the boys.

Her email is worthycubed@yahoo.com

Thanks for your comments and calls and please try to appreciate the positives in your lives, no matter how small they may seem!

4 comments:

Lyn and John said...

We're excited about the Halloween at the zoo outing this evening -- but especially about seeing our Soccer Star tomorrow!
We all continue to have those emotional ups and downs. The other day when I had my mammogram, the young woman who was doing it commented on my pretty green beaded bracelet. It made me just start sobbing when I explained to her the significance of it. That was at 8 o'clock in the morning, and it seemed to set the pace for the rest of the day. Fortunately, yesterday was better, spending part of a beautiful autumn day with my wonderful PEO sisters.
See you later today! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I had to laugh when I read about the stool problem. Many years ago when our oldest was about Max's age, we had the same thing, and it too required a plumber to remove the stool to get at the toy car. Don't know if this is fairly common or just an Albright boy thing.

Love, Uncle Jim

Tena said...

I had some highs and lows while I was visiting and even now that I'm home - I think of you and smile and then cry. The walk was a wonderful way to celebrate those who are gone and those still fighting. I'm glad we were there to be a part of it. (And, thanks to the Straub's for not pushing Eli into the river!)
So glad your plumbing issue got taken care of! Who knew that snaking a toilet could be so much fun and NOT FUN at the same time! Husband #2 should stick to his day job...
Yeah for Max! He's motivated by the dollar spot after all...
Glad you had a fun time with your parents this weekend. I'm continuing to say prayers for you and your positive outlook (and etc). I'm proud to call you my best friend - you are an inspiration for us all and you sure show visitors a good time when they come to town! Miss you, sista!

Anonymous said...

Yay for good days...and Booo for bad ones. That's all I've got to say!
Well, not really ALL. Yay for Max!! and thanks for calling us to celebrate after the fact! We love those calls.
I hope that the zoo and soccer game were great fun. Have a nice visit with the Albrights this week and call if you need anything...anytime.
Love you and can't wait to see you next month!
Sherri