Sunday, October 19, 2008

Trying To Stay Busy

David's mom and dad arrived yesterday afternoon. I raked some leaves (the boys jumped in the piles) while the grandparents observed their grandsons. I put together a dinner that was easy, but potentially impressive (frozen breaded stuffed chicken breasts, creamed leeks, wild rice). Davey ate 2 chicken breasts and everyone else only had one. Then, the bath, books, bed routine.

Today consisted of sourdough chocolate chip pancakes and sausage, soccer game at 10 a.m., a visit to the cemetery, a picnic lunch from Wendy's at the playground, naps, more leaf raking (and a funny story to follow!), dinner, college football on tv, then bedtime routine. Sitting and working word puzzles and games with Davey is such fun! He is so good at the "Which Way USA" books (puzzles and activities to "Stretch your Brain") and he is learning history, geography and critical thinking, too!

Going to see the newly placed grave marker was like an expected kick in the gut. My stomach was in knots from the time we left the soccer game. I was expecting to feel sad, down, etc., but I stepped out of the van, sat next to David and began weeping, sobbing, (choose your own synonym for crying), etc. We had to leave after not too long because Davey needed to use the restroom.

Speaking of restrooms, if you have been following the toilet trepidations here at our house, you will know that Max flushed a hockey puck-shaped toy down the toilet in the powder room. I think I have discovered where he got the idea to flush things (other than being 2 and kids seem to do this at 2). He commented to me Thursday when I picked up a prescription at Walgreens, "Mommy, what is that?" "Medicine," I replied. "Are you going to flush it?" he inquires. Hmmmm, I think. He watched me flush 8 large bottles of one of David's meds and about 8 other medications down the toilet about 6 weeks ago. Hmmm....

Now for the funny story for today. I ran out of leaf/ lawn debris bags before I had finished collecting the leaves this afternoon, so I called some neighbors. I left a message for Ryan, the guy a couple doors down who has a 2 year old boy Max loves to play with (unfortunately, Logan spends half his time here and half with his mom). Ryan did not answer, so I ended up leaving the boys here with their grandparents in charge and going to Home Depot to get bags (I also got a shepherd's hook to hang a basket, wind chime or wreath at the cemetery). When I returned, Ryan was in his front yard mowing his lawn. He told me "I called you back!" and asked me where I had been. I replied, "Home Depot to get bags." He said, "Davey answered the phone and I asked if his mommy was home. He said no. I asked if anyone was there with him and he said, yeah, Max is here." I am glad he trusted that I am a good mommy and that I left my children supervised and did not call Child Protective Services!!!

Tomorrow is a day of Mass, lunch out (courtesy of Grandpa), naps for those who are interested, portraits of the boys (perhaps to be used for Christmas card enclosures), a little walk or playing outside, dinner and collapse for the night (I plan to watch "Desperate Housewives", actually).

Monday, we have stuffed squash and birthday cake with some friends so we can still celebrate David's birthday. He would have been 36. Please say a little prayer for us, as it will be a rough day, I imagine. I hope I do not have to be home when David's mom and dad pull out of the driveway in the Subaru. I know it needs to go; I don't need 2 cars, but I don't think I can actually watch it go. I would rather that it just not be here when we return home from school. Am I a wimp?

And, finally, a huge WAHOO!!!! for TCU's defeat of #8 BYU this week with a score of 32-7!!! I bet David had front row seats!!!

2 comments:

Lyn and John said...

You poll does not have an option "none of the above", so I can't vote. I think that you are all doing fine given the heartbreaking circumstances that are your new reality. Perhaps a support group with young families in similar situations would confirm that you're not alone, but I don't think any of you need counselling. That's my non-professional, Mom/Googey opinion. I love you all so much.

Anonymous said...

I noticed the TCU score on Saturday evening and thought of you (and David). It made me smile to know that he was whooping it up in heaven :)
I hope that today isn't too terribly tough for you and the boys. I'm glad that you are having a celebration of David's life.
We love you...
Sherri