Friday, January 16, 2009

The Birds and the Bees

I had my first dose of "The Inquisitive Six Year Old" the other evening. We were calmly eating our fish, rice and veggies and Davey asked me an interesting question.

"Mommy, what happens when a baby's mommy is white and the daddy is African-American?"

"Well, the baby is kind of both."

"But I thought babies came from the mom."

"Well, they come from both the mom and the dad." (I am trying to just answer the question he is really asking)

"How does it come from both?"

"Well, some of the cells from the mom and some from the dad go together to make the baby." (he is really into science and anything relating to cells will make sense to him)

"How do the cells get together?" (YIKES!!!)

"Well, when a mommy and a daddy really love each other, they do something together called making love and that's when the cells get together."

"How to they get there?"

"The daddy puts a part of him into the mommy and the cells get together."

"Oh." (And back to his dinner...)

Whew, bullet dodged for now. I tried to just give him the info he was asking for and no more. Saying, "Ask Daddy" wasn't gonna fly, so I just jumped in, and I think I did pretty well, if I do say so myself!

About 30 minutes later, his teacher called to tell me that they had been discussing Barack Obama, his parents being from different races, and studying about MLK. To teach about the cultural climate of the 1960s, she gave stickers to the boys only. She noted the reactions of various students, including Davey, who was crying. She asked him what was wrong and he told her that he was sad because it wasn't fair, that everyone should get stickers. She wanted me to know that he is a sensitive and compassionate boy with a strong sense of justice. I am so proud of him and, to be honest, proud of the way he is being raised.

I am trying to do what so many single parents do: trying to be both parents to my boys and answer questions as they are asked in as unintimidating, calm, honest way as I can. I know I am raising someone's future husband and that is an AWESOME responsibility! My boys will be compassionate, caring, and helpful. They will not watch their wife take care of the house, laundry, meals, children, etc. while they kick back with a beer and the remote!

I had an experience yesterday at one of my schools with a colleague who did not know David had been sick and was complaining about some crummy things going on in her life. I told her my story and that put some tings in perspective. Another gal was there, who knew David had died and has told me how strong she thought I was, but, come to find out, she thought all that had happened in 2007, not 2008. She said, "I knew you were strong, but now I am even more impressed." It was weird and difficult to go through all of the story again after several months. Usually, I am picking up the tale at a certain point, not starting at the very beginning. I have come to realize there ARE people every week or so that I get back in contact with who don't even know that David was sick at all.

I went to a new doc today and had the new patient work up. Next week, I will get the blood work info back, but today, I had blood drawn and had a tetanus booster. My arm hurts (well the shot combined with the fact that I was either really motivated or really stupid and went to the gym at the YMCA this week every day since Sun. except Wed.) So, I am ready for bed.

Hope everyone enjoys a long weekend and remembers that we ALL need to be citizens who are compassionate and have a firm sense of justice (maybe we DO learn all we need to know in kindergarten!!!) and pray for our new President as he begins to face so many difficult challenges!

3 comments:

Lyn and John said...

You are simply amazing! I continue to be awed and inspired by how you handle everything so well, with your wonderful boys, your job, all the different kinds of people you encounter.
Today I finished treatment #25 - yeah! Only eight more to go.
We're looking forward to the weekend. See you all tomorrow.
Lots of love, Mom XOX

Anonymous said...

Jen - yes you are amazing. I wish just once that I had what you and David had - an amazing relationship, love that knew no end, a support person that backed you up when it was necessary, a true friend. I'm so sorry that you lost that, but in his legacy he left two amazing little boys that will hold their mom up and show her love and support. They with yours and the divine goodnes of God, will grow up to be two very compassionate as well as caring men. I just hope we can stay in touch so I can see it happen. Of course when Davey and Kendyll are in high School, I will be in my late fifties!!! Whoa. Well if enough said about that. I pray God blesses your weekend with your family. Talk to you on Monday. Love ya, Robin S.

Anonymous said...

You are incredible. I know that you sometimes question yourself and the decisions that you make as a newly single mom, but you are a total rock star!!
I hope that you had a great weekend!
Love,
Sherri