Thursday, January 29, 2009

Counting My Blessings...

Today was definitely a day for counting my abundant blessings.

It was my mom's last day of radiation for breast cancer. They have no power, but a lot to celebrate. I am sure they sat by the fire, drinking their champagne.

Late last night and this morning, I heard branches cracking and falling all around and then awoke this morning to discover a large limb had sheared off one of the support beams of the swing set in the backyard. Grateful nothing major seems to have hit the house, just some limbs laying on the roof in front and a lot down all over the yard!

We have now completed 2 snow days, with 2 more this week. Both the parochial and public schools are closed Thursday and Friday. It has been nice to enjoy time with the boys. We are lucky to be some of the homes with power, although, the satellite dish is covered in ice. So, instead of watching too much TV, we have played too much Wii. Some MarioKart, some Big Brain Academy and some WiiFit. This morning, we all three laid in bed and watched "Muppets Take Manhattan" and "Muppets From Space".

Tonight, Davey, Bobbi, Josie and I went to see "Wicked". We stewed a bit about how bad the roads would be, should we take my van or her car. I was prepared with an extra set of "sensible" shoes (my rubber boots) and a bag of salt/ ice melt. We were ready for any eventuality. We all loved the show (I splurged on a t-shirt even, I needed another t-shirt like a hole in the head!) and Davey a Josie both were tired, but excited, talking a mile a minute about their favorite parts as we went to the van. We sat in the van, waiting for the traffic to thin so we could back out. We were chilly because I hadn't started the engine, yet. As everything cleared out and it was our turn, I turned the key and nothing but clicks. Tried again, more clicks. Bobbi went to see if someone could give us a jump. There was a guy in an SUV who said he would, if we had jumper cables. Uh, nope, no luck there. So I called AAA and they called to dispatch a truck to give us a jump... sometime before midnight. I called Bobbi's hubby, who was home with Max and another family who had lost power and were staying with them. As I was talking to him, the little security guy for the parking garage showed up... with a jump start contraption. Within 5 minutes, we were on the road! Yippee!! Our guardian angels were looking out for us. It turned out the gentleman in the SUV saw the security man and told him we needed help.

Now, tomorrow (well, now, I guess it is today) and Friday, we will have to think of things to do. Even if the roads improve, the science museum and the zoo are both closed. We will have to be creative. At least Davey already turned in his "100th Day" poster on Monday. Maybe we can go sledding on the approximately 6 inches of snow and ice that are on the ground here. And more Wii tournaments and lazy relaxing with my 2 favorite young men. They are being so cuddly lately. Max had to come back a couple times to give me more kisses (on the lips is his style, which is fine, since no one else kisses me there these days!) before I could leave for the theatre tonight.

I find myself really looking forward to our trip to the beach, with all this cold (it is 23 out right now, and falling), although, at this rate, we may be going to school until Fourth of July!

One of the greatest blessings I have is that I have such wonderful friends and family. These lyrics from "For Good" from "Wicked" made me think of all the people who have done so much for me and David and the boys over the past 18 months. I thank you!

"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend..."



So, everyone, be warm, be grateful and be happy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted that you should buy a new TV since I have one for you sitting in my garage. LOL!!

love you...hope that you have a great week!

Lyn and John said...

We enjoyed our weekend with you, even though it didn't turn out according to the original plan! As Father Steve said yesterday, we must always be flexible! So we got a lot done, and had some fun along the way. And today it sounds like you're continuing to accomplish great things! This will be a week for everyone to get back to normal with school, schedules, no ice storms, and good health! We love you all so much. Mom and Dad