Thursday, January 1, 2009

It's Been Awhile...

Yes, my boys and I have been busy. We had dentist appointments on 12/22 (I know, what kind of lunatic goes to the dentist on her birthday and takes her two boys WITH her on that excursion?!!?, well, I do. I don't mind going to the dentist and Max did great at his first ever cleaning and check-up. Davey kept filling him in on what to expect). Then we met friends for a birthday lunch at Jason's Deli and then off to BG for the holidays. My mom made my requested dinner, we ate chocolate cake with chocolate frosting and chocolate ice cream, and then we went to see the WKU Lady Toppers win a basketball game. Good day, all things considered.

Over the next couple days, we did a little shopping, baking, relaxing, accompanying my mom the the radiation clinic for a treatment, getting the oil changed on the van... exciting stuff.

We went to Mass on Christmas Eve (complete with the serenade from the boys of "All the Ends of the Earth Have Seen the Power of God" and "Glo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ria In Excelsis Deo" on the drive home from church) and everyone slept in until around 8-ish, then the fun really began. The boys were excited about their Wii, books, DVDs, all of it! Everything they opened was the best thing, until it was their turn again and they opened something new and exciting.

The next day was Boxing Day, traditionally when the Queen of England opens the poor boxes and distributes the money. My parents had their traditional Boxing Day Open House, complete with Christmas crackers. I always enjoy extending the celebration another day, especially this year!

We went to see "Tale of Despereaux". It was good, but I am glad my dad did other things instead, I think it would not have been his "cup of tea". One night, after getting Max settled in bed (or so I thought!), I heard him calling down the stairs that he wanted "a cuddle". SO I went up, noticed some foil scattered near the doorway to the room I sleep in there, and asked,"Max, how many did you eat?" (knowing I had put the Lindt chocolate treats from my stocking on top of some gifts in my room). He looked a LITTLE sheepish and said, "Five". He had eaten 5 small hollow chocolate angels, the little sneaky booger!!

Our original plan was to be back home on Sunday or Monday. Well, we finally came home on New Year's Eve, in time to quickly make baked brie and Hopping John (black-eyed peas, rice and ham, for good luck in the New Year)before departing for a party. The boys had a lot of fun, as did I, but there were some rough, teary moments. Again, I was reminded that I am surrounded by so many people who care deeply about us!

This morning, I did not AT ALL want to face the new year! I am not usually a fan of New Year's, so anticlimactic! This year, I felt like turning the page and beginning a new year was one more thing separating me from David, like I am now that much more distant from him. I missed him so much last night and an interesting realization hit me when a good friend asked, "What did you all do last year?". My response was, "We were at home hoping that 2008 would be better than 2007." Hmmmmm... I think I am now counting on 2009 being a huge improvement over 2008. Whaddya think? We were saved from a day of staring at the walls and each other by our friends, the Straubs, and their invitation to "come and hang". So we did just that. I am grateful they have not tired of us yet.

I am ready to go back to our routine on Monday. I hope everyone else is, too. Have a very happy, blessed and joyful 2009!! Here is to new beginnings and a year full of hope!

No comments: