Saturday, January 10, 2009

First Week Back

Well, the week began with the boys and I waking on Monday at 7:45. Now, understand that we typically leave the house at 7:30 to get Davey to school, so I was quite panicked when I opened my eyes and saw the time and saw both boys next to me, snoozing away. Davey was 10 minutes late for school, but he was one of many tardy on the first day back after 2 weeks off (I haven't told my mom about this, so she will likely read this and shake her head and say, "Jennifer!")... not to worry, one of my coworkers, who is a bit like a mother to me at times, asked me Monday morning, "So, you decided to get out of bed for us this morning, huh?" I guess the secretary at the office told her I had called to make sure my first meeting wasn't at 8:30.

The week went more smoothly from there. I went to most of my schools, got a haircut, went to the Y twice, went to the school Mass said in memory of David and cooked EVERY night! I am SO proud!

Last night, we got together with a friend who left our neighborhood in a search for more land in the pseudo-country. We ate and talked while the kids played. Later, a rousing Wii American Idol karaoke competition raged. I did my best with "Eye of the Tiger" and Davey gave "YMCA" and "Life Is A Highway" his best shot.

We have been a family addicted to our Wii, as so many families are, so today, we tried to get out of the house a bit, despite the rain and cold. We hit 2 grocery stores and Target and now we are set for the week with the staples and our menu is planned through Thursday, complete with leftovers for lunches and Friday night.

We also have not one, but 2 trips planned for the next few months. Again, we are so touched by the thoughtfulness of our friends and family to help give us things to look forward to. Thanks to you all!

Last post, I mentioned Davey's yearning to order something off an infomercial and I had told him that we don't order things off the TV. Well, I am a hypocrite! I ordered a Swivel Sweeper last weekend. It arrived yesterday, charged overnight and we used it this morning. I have to admit, it does what it said it would. It cleans crumbs, dust bunnies, anything on the floor that always got pushed into the corner by my beloved Swiffer. It came with one additional free ("for only the additional shipping and handling") and 2 hand held sweepers for the couch or car (also pretty cool, I used it on the stuff that collects on the floor boards of the van). Davey loves to run the Swivel Sweeper, so that alone nearly makes it worth it!

Now for a little sweet story about Max, my champion potty user. A few days ago, we were reading a lift the flap book called Where Is Baby's Mommy. The child is looking throughout the house for his mommy, who is hiding, and finds various toys in the places he looks. At the end, I asked, "Where is Max's Mommy?" He said, "Right here!" Then I asked where Max's Daddy is. He said, "In Heaven." I asked what he was doing. "Playing." "What is he playing?" (thinking the answer would be soccer, or Wii or computer) Max said, "He's playing banjo for Jesus." So sweet!

Well enough for now. Maybe next time I will share with you about Max's term "drooping a poop"... actually, I bet that is self explanatory. At least they all make it in the toilet these days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"he's playing a banjo for Jesus"....I'll just bet he's right!!

Tena said...

i guess there are banjos in heaven. not something i had considered but possible. love that!

Anonymous said...

Jen - Max is so sweet and is becoming such a big boy. You are an awesome person and wonderful mom! Don't ever forget that. When we learned how to poop in the potty, it was a snake poop! Pretty self-explanatory too. As long as it was in the toilet, she could call it whatever she liked. I'm so very proud of big boy Max and for Master Davey for trying to make his mom's days lighter. Love and prayers, Robin S.