Sunday, July 27, 2008

An Anniversary

It has been a year since we first began this "adventure". Last July 27 was the day David went into the hospital following a chest X-ray that showed "something" about the size of a baseball in his chest. Only days later, we were greeted by an oncologist and told this could be a fungal infection or possibly lymphoma. What a year we have had.

That being said, here is today's update. David was moved to ICU last night at about 1:00 am. I called to check on him before turning off the light, as I typically do when he is in the hospital. The receptionist who answered was getting his nurse, but, instead, I heard, "Jennifer, this is John (Huber)." He filled me in on the fever (still 102), high heart rate and the need for more monitoring of all these vital signs more frequently. So, David is there and he isn't allowed to walk around, shower, or have any visitors under age 12, so the boys didn't get to go see Daddy after church, like we had planned, but we have learned "we plan, God laughs".

I am going to see him tomorrow morning and keep him company until they kick me out for "rest time" at 1:30. Then I will spend the afternoon with Davey until we can go pick up Max. We are hoping that David will be moved back to Oncology tomorrow, as soon as his fever breaks and the heart rate returns to normal. It is getting a little humorous how many of the rooms on 5 North he has been in, since each time he is admitted, moves to a new floor and back to Oncology, he seems to occupy a new room with each move. I think I will need to see how many different rooms he has had up there. Also, at some point, I need to figure out a way to get David's car home, since when he drove there yesterday afternoon, he was not intending to stay there!

Hope all of you had a peaceful and restful weekend!

Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow - that is patience.

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope Alexandre Dumas Père

Faith is not simply a patience that passively suffers until the storm is past. Rather, it is a spirit that bears things - with resignations, yes, but above all, with blazing, serene hope. Corazon Aquino

3 comments:

Lyn and John said...

I really appreciate your quotes about Patience. You two have certainly had yours tested, and you are my models of how to be patient and still live your lives. We love you! ~Mom

Tena said...

I just wanted to let you know that a long phone call and sleep disturbance is a high price to pay for friendship! But I still love you! (And I would do it again many nights in a row...but just for YOU!) What a great strength you are for David and the boys. I'm taking lessons from you. Learning patience...

Anonymous said...

Jennifer & David,
You guys amaze us with your constant humor and strength through all of this. Please know what we are all thinking of you and hope you get to enjoy your anniversary plans. Jennifer, my mom said you had a great neighborhood support group for meals but didn't know if you knew about this website. We have a friend in town who has a website set up for her meals. She is battling stage IV colon cancer at 33 yrs old. thought it was a great website and wanted to share....
http://www.livestrong.lotsahelpinghands.com
Love to you all!
Kasey, Levi, Meg and Charlotte