Friday, July 11, 2008

Long Day!

Because it has been a long day and the hour is late, I will again give an abridged version of the day. I did the usual morning things to get the boys ready for the day and then my wonderful parents offered for one of them to go with me to the hospital today for David's procedure. Davey decided he would like Googey to hang out with him and DadDad would go with me. We got Max to WRBC (the class was just starting Spanish, so it was great timing) and off to Baptist East we went. What ended up happening was a lot of waiting. I took my dad to the family lunch provided each Thurs. by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society for the families of oncology patients. Then more waiting.

The surgeon came in to say the oncologists and he had had a conversation and decided to put a stent in after all (this had been the original plan yesterday) to open up his airway. This would open things and allow David to receive the next chemo when it is scheduled, rather than be delayed by recovering from a surgery. About 1:00, they called up to say they were ready to take David to the "holding area" of surgery. So we all went downstairs and after more waiting and 3 visits into the holding area to see David, at about 7:00, they took David into the OR. Daddy and I went up to fill the nurses in and to get ice cream from the unit where David had been. At 8:00, the girls at surgery reception were going home and told us what to do if the phone rang or if we wanted updates.

Finally, there was a call and David was out and the doctor would be out to fill us in. I was jumpy, anxious, etc. because it was supposed to be a 1 hour thing and this had been longer then that, but, I reasoned that if anything was unusual, the nurse would have called. The surgeon told us that they had put the stent in and had some positioning problems (it kept wanting to fold over on one end). They will look at it tomorrow to ensure it is still where it needs to be.

David was rather funny when I saw him before coming home. He was still goofy from the anesthesia. He had his arm under the blanket and was stroking it with his other hand and asked me,"Do you see Garfield?" "Do you like Garfield?". David doesn't even LIKE cats!! We got his things packed up because he is spending tonight in Cardiac Care to get more monitoring than Oncology does. If things go well tonight and the stent is OK, he will go back to 5 North (Oncology).

My dad and I got home right about 10 and had some food, watched the news and caught up on the goings-on with the boys today. I am so grateful my family is so supportive! I could not do it without them! Thanks to all our friends who have been helping, praying and checking on us. It makes a world of difference!

God bless!

Phillipians 4:4-9:

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again, I will say, Rejoice. Let all know your forebearance. The Lord is at hand. Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be known to God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, will keep your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. What you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, do; and the God of peace will be with you."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that you all got some rest last night...it sounds like you need it! I am praying that the stint does it's job and that David is in better spirits today. We love you all!!

Anonymous said...

Please know that we are thinking and praying for David and your family every day. Jennifer, I hear you are pretty much super woman, wife, and mom! Wish we were closer so we could visit David and help out with those sweet boys!
Kasey