Friday, July 11, 2008

A Sigh of Relief

After a night and most of a day in ICU (a VERY depressing place, I might say), David was moved back to 5 North (Oncology). We had originally been told he would be in ICU for 2 days or so. Who would have thought Oncology would be a GOOD move?!? The day in ICU was odd. They had David monitored for O2 saturation, respirations per minute, heart rate and blood pressure. He wanted to get up and walk around, but we were told, "Our patients don't walk." He couldn't take a shower, because there wasn't one in the bathroom. They wouldn't even let him get out of bed to take care of bathroom needs. UGH!! I was there before they did the broncoscopy to see how things looked with the stent and his lungs. The doc pronounced things in there looked good and he took a sample of some "stuff" in there but said it was the same stuff as before which came back as "nothing". One of the nurses from Oncology even came down to see us and happened to be there to see the images from the scope. These nurses are THE BEST!!

The ICU nurse kicked me out at 1:30, for "rest time"- like in preschool??? I told David there were some of his friends from work planning on stopping in on the 1/2 day YUM works on summer Fridays, so he said he would just see me tomorrow.

I went home to collect my parents and kiddo to go to Dairy Queen to celebrate National Ice Cream Day (did you know that was today? according to our paper, it is today, so we ran with it).

Tonight, we had been invited to the new home of some friends who used to live down the street. It was a nice night together with friends and getting to laugh (AND jump on a trampoline!) and enjoy a quiet night.

Tomorrow, I will go see David and get Davey to a birthday party and we will go see "Cats". I wish David was going with us as we had planned, but, as a sign my grandmother gave us shortly after this all started in Aug., 2007 says, "We make plans, God laughs". I have definitely realized how NOT in control we ultimately are!

Continue to pray and have a wonderful weekend!

Oh, in case some of you misread what I typed last night, David was stroking his ARM in his post-anesthesia stupor. ONLY HIS ARM!!! (Thanks, Bobbi!!)

"Saying thank you is more than good manners. It is good spirituality."
-Alfred Painter

"
Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."
-Melodie Beattie

1 comment:

Joanne Wallace said...

Jennifer & Family,

I am a friend of your mom & dad from Bowling Green and have been keeping up with David's battle on your blog. I offer prayers up daily for David and your family as he goes through his battle. You have great family and friend support and along with your faith in God I hope this has been a great comfort for you. I know the scripture and other quotes you have posted have been a source of inspiration to me and have even cut out Phillipians 4:4-9 and taped it to my computer where I read it daily. Thank you for sharing those.

Joanne Wallace