Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Progress... Slow Progress, But Still Progress

David has been in Critical Care since late Sat. night. At first, I was not "feeling the love" from the nursing staff there, but the past 2 days, he has had a nice nurse in the day and a very caring, warm nurse at night. I have actually spent more time with the night nurse, Tanya. She is half German, half Czech. She has lived here for 20 years and actually thought I was a nurse after talking to me and answering my questions on the phone late Monday night. She asked David if I was a nurse and he told her, "No, not a nurse, but Jen is so smart, she could be anything she decided to be." Wow, you know, what people say about you when you aren't there is often very insightful!

David has slept well the past couple nights (thanks to Tanya and her combination of Xanax and cough medicine). When I asked him this morning how his night was, he responded, "Restful."

I had an interesting conversation with David's sister about a few things, including her relationship with him and the boys. It was good to get some things off my chest and interesting to hear her views/feelings/etc.

My parents are still planning to come here this weekend, but David and I fear that our plan to go to "The Wiz" together for our anniversary may not pan out. My parents and I will go, and have to tell David about it. We can always celebrate 12 years of wedded bliss in other ways and on other days.

On a parenting note, does anyone have advice on how to keep a 2 1/2 year old from taking his diaper off after he has been put to bed? Max takes off his PJs and then takes off his diaper. Last night, I had to change the sheet while trying not to wake him. I am getting pretty good at putting a diaper back on without disturbing him, but usually I catch it before he has wet the bed, but not so last night! Tonight, I put it on backwards and he took off the PJ bottoms, but, so far, the diaper is still on. One wise mom suggested duct tape. I just might try it!!!

I take you to be my spouse, my partner in life and my one true love. I will cherish our union and love you more each day than I did the day before. In the presence of God, our family and friends, I offer you my solemn vow to be your faithful partner in sickness and in health, in good times and in bad, and in joy as well as in sorrow. I will trust you and respect you, laugh with you and cry with you, loving you faithfully through good times and bad, regardless of the obstacles we may face together. I give you my hand, my heart, and my love, from this day forward for as long as we both shall live.

David and I think about that bold part a great deal, especially as we near our 12th anniversary. We ask for you all to pray for peace and healing and, if you are willing and able, please donate blood or platelets to your local blood bank!

Good night and God bless!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We never had a problem with JT removing diapers, but a friend told me that putting the diaper on backwards worked for her. Someone also suggested duct tape to her, but she didn't have to try it.

It was good to talk to you on Tuesday...I wish that we could be there to see you all in person. Maybe Thanksgiving?
Love to you all...
Sherri

Tena said...

I've got nothing to add about diapers...we haven't experienced that, yet.
Hoping David got my big envelope? I'm sending prayers that he gets home in time for the anniversary and play this weekend.
I'll need your guidance as we contemplate surgery for Eli...

Tena said...

Blood donation by 1/3 of your Prosper friends last week. I bet you could guess which one?!?!?!!

Anonymous said...

HELLO Jennifer,
So good to hear that progress is being made in CCU! You are an amazing wife and mother...and I know David knows that! I will continue to pray for peace and healing.
LUVUH