Friday, August 1, 2008

Things Could Be Worse...

11:45 PM- Just when I was feeling really down about all the machines David is on (OK, it is just 2, plus the feeding and IVs, but still) and feeling sorry for myself, Tena called tonight and told me about a woman who has had several miscarriages and just lost a baby at 22 weeks. It sometimes is good to be reminded that no matter how bad things seem, there is always someone whose situation seems worse. My conversation with Tena reminded me to count my many blessings!

Maybe I should back up a bit. The nurse from last night called me at 6:50 this morning to tell me that they had put David on a BiPAP machine. This is like a CPAP machine people use for sleep apnea, but air delivered through a mask can be set at one pressure for inhaling and another for exhaling. I went to see him today and it was hard to talk to him with the mask on, but we figured it out with notes, gestures, etc. He had a chest CT scan today, but I don't know what they were looking for or what they saw, at least not yet.

Tonight, the boys and I went out for Chinese food with my friend, Amy, and her 2 kids. They used to live down the street and we miss seeing them frequently. When Amy called to ask what she could do, I told her that I would like to go out, but I didn't feel up to going out with one me and two boys. After dinner, we came back here and we all played, even Josie came down to join in the fun.

12:47 AM- I just got of the phone with David's nurse tonight. They checked his blood gases to verify the O2 saturation levels. They looked good, so she was going to give him Ativan to help him get rest tonight. he also said that his blood pressure is looking good tonight. The doctors changed what they were giving him for low BP (today) and it is a milder drug. Then this evening, the dose was cut in half, so the medication may be discontinued tomorrow. I will see him tomorrow morning for a bit and then come home to get ready to go to "The Wiz" with Davey and my parents.

I am still looking a this as a bump in the road to work through and get past. In the time it takes to write a post, I often go from feeling down and full of self-pity to feeling more positive and hopeful. This blogging is rather like a diary (that other people read). Tonight, writing this kept me from disturbing the sleeping Huber family at 12:30 AM with a phone call surrounding my worries and fears over the BiPAP machine. I am sure they are glad I refrained from bugging them.

Wishing everyone a restful and blessed weekend!

9 comments:

Tena said...

Sending love. Hoping for good news. Glad your parents got there okay and that you had support of Mrs. Huber while waiting.

Anonymous said...

Leave your worries on the doorstep and have a great time at THE WIZ!

Your prayer warriors will be working for you while you enjoy an evening out with kids and parents.

LUVUH

Melanie and Scott said...

You have been in my thoughts over the past few weeks. I have been out of touch with reality while we were in Alaska but have now returned. We had a great trip. I will tell you all about it sometime. I was so sorry to hear of David's progress while we were gone. I am so amazed at your positive, upbeat attitude. You are truly amazing and an inspriration to me. You have taught me so much about patience and perserverance and when I count my many blessings, I always count you and your friendship over the years. Please know that you and David and the boys continue to be lifted up in prayer. Thank you also for the anniversary card. It blew my mind that in all that you have going on, you still had time to remember our anniversary. WOW! I am blessed by you! Happy anniversary also! Love and Hugs! I will talk to you soon!
Love, Melanie

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for all of you and hope there is better news and David can come back home soon. Davey is going to be an amazing in kindergarten. About Max, maybe he's ready to start going potty and a diaper just feels weird now. Let me know what you need if anything. Love, Robin.

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU...Holding you in prayer every step...

Harriette

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOU...KEEPING YOU IN PRAYER TODAY AND ALWAYS

LUVUHarriette

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer,

We are a voice from the past--England to be exact where, among other things, your parents smoothed the way for our introduction to things English. Your mother shared your news with us and I have just been able to log onto you blog for the first time. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

I really appreciated both the inclusion of "What Cancer Cannot Do" as well as the excerpt from your wedding vows.

Congratualations on your 12th anniversary!

I would drop you a proper note, but must get your address from your folks first

While you are dealing with so many things, I hope that you are able to take care of yourself as well.

We are sending all of you our love,
Barbara and Carlo

Madge Brown said...

Jennifer,

Your sisters in Chapter H are thinking of you today, as we have been every day. Your strength and faith are amazing and have been an inspiration to some lives you may never know you touched.

It is gratifying to know you have such loyalty and support from family, friends and neighbors. That certainly speaks to who you are as a person.

Please know that if and when you need more shoulders to lean on, we are here. We are praying for a new ray of hope for your sweet family.

L.I.P.E.O.,
Madge

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen and Dave,
Sorry the anniverary card is late but Amanda got water all over it. Just know that our thoughts and prayers are with you both every day.
Love
Cheri and Bob Riddle