Monday, August 25, 2008

Step by Step

We are getting the hang of this kindergarten thing. I did drop off through the car rider line today. Davey just hopped out and went in the door, like he had been doing this forever. He prefers to buy lunch must days, but not on taco or chili day. That day, he wants a PB and J.

This morning, which was the first day of preschool for Jefferson County's Head Start and financially need-based classes, so it was a but hectic, I got a call from the St. Margaret Mary counselor. My first thought was a bit of panic, but she immediately told me that everything was fine, that Davey is "perfect". She just wanted to let me know that she and Mrs. Flechler had some thoughts that they wanted to run by me. They wanted to know how Davey seemed to be doing, since they have only known him for a week. On the way home today, I asked Davey if he missed Daddy. He said, "No, because Daddy is always with me." I asked if he wished he could talk to Daddy. Again, "No, I talk to Daddy sometimes." I asked when and he told me, "Sometimes at night." Why does my kid seem so much more together than I am!?!? Kids are amazing, aren't they? I must say, mine seems especially amazing! (Not that I am biased! Feel free to tell me how great my boys are, though!)

Speaking of great kids (here I go again, bragging on my Davey), I got a call from a friend on Saturday, telling me that there were some boys on the playground on Friday, chasing some of the girls, including her daughter. She told me that Davey told the boys to stop and that it wasn't nice. Apparently, I am raising a knight-in-shining-armour wannabe.

Lest you think I have forgotten that I have 2 boys, Max, in his own, not so quiet way, is bringing me joy, too. He cam always be counted on to make me slow down at night-night time for extended cuddles in the glider, just when I am trying to rush things. Also, this morning, for the 3rd time in 2 weeks, he was dry when waking up and actually peed in the little potty. When I said, "Daddy would be so proud!", Davey chimes in, "Daddy saw it, Mommy."

Well, those are the adventures here. I am continuing to try to get a handle on time and money management in light of our "new normal".

Wishing you all peace and love!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen,

Aren't kids so amazingly resilient? I am so glad that they are, especially Davey, for your sake. Also, I am exhausted for you at the thought of raising 2 alone. You and my mom are my heros. She did the same thing. However, I can tell you she would never have been able to write this wonderful blog and still have such happy things to say.

Love,
Michele

Melanie and Scott said...

You are amazing! Thanks for keeping us posted on how things are going for you and the boys. Hugs to all of you! Not a day goes by that I don't think of you and send prayers upward. Love You!

Lyn and John said...

As amazed at the resiliance of your offspring as YOU are, that is how Daddy and I feel about you! How proud we are of your faith-filled-ness and your strength in just being on solid ground one day at a time, and then doing the same thing again the nest day! We love you! Mom XOX

Lyn and John said...

sorry I said "nest" day ...
I meant NEXT day.
But maybe it is "nest day" while you comfort, nourish, and feather Max and Davey.

Tena said...

As Sherri said to me the other day, I am happy and proud to be in your 'circle' because your family 'loves big.' I am also proud of my godsons and their ability to be happy, know that Daddy can see them and learn to use the potty - just remember to flush...Don'y forget as your mom said to 'feather that nest.' Love you!

Anonymous said...

thnaks for making me tear up....I'll be sure and not read this anymore after I put on make-up. :-) HUGS,
Amy