Wednesday, July 2, 2008

So far, so good...

Well, we have been all together at home now since Monday, and David's cough and hoarseness seems to be improving. Last night was more restful than Monday night. I am trying to give him some time each day to be alone at home without 2 (or 3, since Eli and Tena are still here until Saturday) small boys around to wear him out. He had gone to the oncologists' office yesterday and today for a PICC line flush and neupogen shot (to help raise his white blood count by stimulating his bone marrow to produce the cells). They did blood work this afternoon and his WBC, hemoglobin and platelets were all very low, but that is what the chemo does as it kills the cancer, it also kills the good blood cells. He's taking several anti- things (antibiotic, antifungal and antiviral) and a medication to help his body to flush out the cancer cells that have been killed.

The boys seem to be doing OK with this all going on, but I get concerned about Max, since he seems a little out of control sometimes. Tonight, we went to the Summit to get a 4th of July shirt and ended up being out until 8pm, a bit late for my kiddos. At Children's Place, Max was back in the storeroom while I was paying (I found an adorable madras plaid sport coat for Davey that he insisted on wearing home). What was I to do? Abandon the payment process? Send Davey to go get his little brother? Ignore? Help?!? I wonder if it is just a product of being 2 combined with this craziness that is our life right now. I mean, I feel like I am supposed to be some sort of expert on early childhood behavior and management of such, but I feel a bit out of my element lately. Hmmm....

I leave you with this-
"For myself, I am an optimist- it does not seem to be much use being anything else."
- Sir Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Lyn and John said...

We love reading about your "adventures." Thank goodness it's summer - an the livin' is easy! (tee hee) I can't imagine what you all would be doing if you were working, too! We love you all and admire your courage and faith. Love, Mom and Dad